BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE BOWL
A FILMED RECIPE
What to do with extra time
I always loved cooking, baking, and basically preparing food in any way. Unfortunately, normally I don’t really have the time for it.
One thing I’m now especially blessed with, is time (I will even dare to say most of us do these days). Some days, I’ve got so much time on my hands that I’m not really sure what to do with it. So, aside of spending it binge watching, I’ve recently decided to spend some of the time I have in exploring new (and potentially healthy!) recipes, and with developing one of my greatest passions – cooking.
Browsing the internet, I’ve been seeing quite a few recipes which I personally found delicious. But the tricky part for me, is finding creative ways to make them healthy, nutritious, yet still yummy. One of my personal goals, when it comes to my body, is to find that sweet spot between eating delicious food to manage to have it also healthy and nourishing. It got me started to play with different recipes, altering them a little bit to boost them on the healthy angle. And I can’t wait to share all of them with you guys!
My morning routine
Today I chose to share with you my morning routine, and with it, my special breakfast.
My morning routine has changed quite a lot since the gym I was working at, Next Level AMS, got shut down by the Dutch government due to COVID-19. Along with it, also my work schedule. Nowadays, instead of waking up at 6:15 for my 7.30am classes, I have the luxury of waking up on some days at 8:00 am. And since it’s online, the living room is my gym for the time being.
Back to breakfast, I’m keeping a routine of not having it before 10:00 am, giving my body a few more hours to empty the stomach from last night’s dinner. How do I hold myself from not eating earlier? It’s mostly a matter of discipline and changing my habits. Before making this change, I used to have breakfast pretty much the moment I woke up, but slowly and gradually I’ve built up the habit of eating my breakfast no earlier than 10:00 am.
About this perfect smoothie bowl, though it’s super fast making it, I’m taking my time when I eat it (especially because it’s so delicious!!!). And indeed, there is more than one way of making this breakfast, you can change the fruits, add more yogurt or simply use a different protein powder flavour, but I’d like to share with you my own version from the past few weeks. For me, it’s perfect and I hope you’ll be convinced yourself once you’ll prepare it.
The perfect smoothie recipe:
- 5-6 tablespoons of yogurt. I’m using coconut flavoured vegan yogurt, but you can use any vegan or non-vegan yogurt. The creamier the yogurt, the creamier the smoothie!
- 1 banana – if you’re on a weight-loss journey simply use half a banana instead of whole of it
- Handful of mango – any other fruit would do as well (such as: kiwi, pear, etc. – these are just a few I’ve recently tried myself)
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder – this part is entirely up to your preference. Chocolate is without a doubt my personal preference.
- ½ teaspoon of nut butter – I used almond butter, though you can explore yourself with tahini or peanut butter
- A bit of coconut water (tap water works just as good) – don’t overdo it though, you don’t want to get it too watery! Remember, we’re not making soup.
Blend it all together and pour it into a bowl.
For the toppings:
The toppings can vary from different fruits, nuts, seeds, etc. Go wild here!
My personal favourites:
- Different berries
- Chia seeds
- A nut mix of almonds, walnuts, and cashews
- Grated coconut
- Cacao nibs – yumm
Try my recipe and let me know in the comments how did you like it (or if you have an idea how to improve it).